[Postmarked:] Hamilton & Lewiston Apr. 16W-MCP4-6.184 TO DR. CALVIN AND MARGARETTE [LERNED] MCQUESTEN from their cousins John and Catherine Fisher
Apr 12 1837
To: Dr. Calvin and Margarette McQuesten, Brockport, New York, [U.S.A]
From: Hamilton, [Ontario]
Yours of the 31 inst was rec'd I was in bed sick--have been in the house a good part of the time for nearly three weeks--Was not able to write you when yours came to hand--I wish you would purchase 3 Tons Coal and send it to Gunns Wharf the first of navigation which will be in 10 or 15 days--and the remainder had better be bought and sent here when Coal & Transportation is low.
Van Norman is to be here in one or two days I shall do what I can to purchase Iron from him through the season but if I obtain it for less per Ton I shall have to advance the cash in that case I shall not be able to send you any money--if possible I will send you $200--I have to pay the hands $300 or 400 the first day of May. Janes does not say any thing about purchasing the foundry but will make the machines talked of--We are much troubled with the water in our horse room--have spent nearly $100 to draw it but have only succeeded in part we have to keep a pump going constantly--there is a spring in the cellar.
I have offered to sell the foundry and go and build in another place--or shall never be able to do any thing to good advantage in the spring and wet season--Why we did not see more of the water last spring is unaccountable. I proposed to sell at $3000 if I am taken soon with the privilege of occupying till another year is complete then taking all the machinery and leaving the building--in which case the building is not to be occupied as a Foundry--I do not much expect to sell but have been offered Nearly the above sum--I am confident the place will be valuable--but we must make it one expension alteration if we continue to occupy it I do not think [?] to purchase Iron at present at $50. for 2000[?]--After I see Van Norman I will write you again. There is a man waiting for a machine I must go.
[P.S.] I hope to be insured in a Mutual insurance company about organizing in the Gore District Business tolerably good Money scarce here at present.
Dear Cousin Margaret
My Husband will not allow me but a few moments to write as the mail is about closing. I was happy to hear that we were soon to see you in Hamilton do not disappoint us.1 If your Husband cannot leave his business only for a short time you can remain here and I will accompany you home. My sister Frances from Toledo is to be at Warsaw some time in the month of July and it is my wish to meet her there. I think if you were here now you would say that Hamilton is one of the most pleasant places you were ever in. The streets are very dry and it appears very much like summer. My little boys are both very well and hearty. They improve very fast. Mr. Fisher has been quite unwell for a number of days but is now much better.
In haste, yours affectionately,
1 Margarette may have visited Hamilton shortly after this but she and her husband did not move to Hamilton until 1839, see note at W-MCP4-6.163.