W-MCP4-6.215 DR. CALVIN MCQUESTEN from his cousin John Fisher
Mar 18 1837
To: Dr. Calvin McQuesten, Brockport, New York, U.S.A.
From: Hamilton, Upper Canada
You have probably heard that I have been to Warsaw1 since I last wrote you--I went to Buffalo to obtain the often mentioned $250. but it was not paid. I then went to Wales2 to see the person who owed money and by waiting I obtained the same--I sent $220 to Buffalo by Brother Samuel and told him to send you a certificate of Deposit. I now send you a Draft of $100 for your own use--that is to say it does not belong to Backus & Co--they may have expected money from me before this but not one of the previous Burroughs went to see has been here since--Nor have rec'd any thing from either of the men living in Whitby from whom I expected $300 before this--I have received on their notes money from one person only since Mr. Burroughs left who only paid a part of the amount [?] due--when the ballance [sic] is paid I will collect the am't which is promised soon.
We are not doing much at present Mr. Dike is at Work on Miners Engine and James is making Patterns for Janes. We shall be likely to have Iron & Coal as soon as it can be had. I want you to purchase say 3 Tons if it comes high and more say 6 Tons if it can be had at $10.00 per ton--and as soon as Coal can be had at the lowest price which will be in June or July we had better purchase our year's stock--it will be better than to pay a high price for Transportation. The amt of Iron we purchase at Ogdensburgh ought to depend on the price there--if it can be had for $10 or 11 I should like 6 Tons the opening of navigation. I can obtain some at Long Point--in case we should be working. We have now some 3 Tons of Ogdenburgh and [?] Tons of Long Point on hand. It cost us $40. For 2000 lb. Cash down--some of it very good.
Janes3 is probably with you--will make an offer it may be to purchase the furnace--I told him that if he could purchase your interest I would sell mine for $1000. and the cost of any thing about the concern--the price of all Notes and accts. Janes offered me $1400. for my interest cash in ten days but I told him the above terms were the best I would name on condition you would agree to it. He wanted me to say whither [sic] I would agree to his purchasing your interest and I remain with him and some of his Rochester friends. I told him that if you sold I would have nothing to do with the concern. I mention the above as Janes will probably try to purchase your interest while he is over.
We are now making [Boughed?] and Edgar principally--Boughed has advanced 12 [?] in Hamilton within [?] [?] some more. I can sell our Lot and [Foundry?] after taking out all Machinery & [?] for $2000. Probably for $2300. Nathaniel will make some Mills here that season [?] to be in Montreal.
Fire Insurance Company [?] next month. Whither they will insure our furnace or not I am not able to say.
Have heard nothing from the M. Nellis mentioned in your letter who wanted a Machine. I know not where he [?]. I will try and send you $100 more in two weeks. All Well.
Catherine4 love to Canada & Margaret, hopes to see her the coming summer.
Yours in haste
1 Most likely Warsaw, New York.
2 Likely Massachusetts, possibly Maine.
3 Mr. [Joseph] Janes was a business partner in the foundry. Apparently, he and Fisher had some difficulties working together and eventually Janes ran off, leaving his wife and numerous debts behind. For more details and links, see W-MCP4-6.237. For more on Fisher, see W-MCP5-6.240.
4 It is not quite clear whether the spelling should be Catherine or Catharine. Mrs. Fisher and her husband write Catherine. Minnes, however, uses Catharine in her biographical information on John Fisher. See also W-MCP4-6.236.